Merit Badge 1
Category: Sample preparation
Sub-category: Room temperture work
This merit badge covers negative stain for macromolecular characterization.
Knowledge of the workflow
Specific safety SOPs for this merit badge.
• NYSBC SOP for working with negative stains
For general safety information see the SOPs in the right bar.
Vendor product information
Chemicals for Electron Microscopy
• EMS Diasum
• Ted Pella
Curriculum development partner modules
• CryoEM101 – Chapter 1: Sample purification [Section 5: Negative stain TEM]
• Negative Staining and Image Classification – Powerful Tools in Modern Electron Microscopy
Center specific guidelines
A pass/fail test
The knowledge assessment test primarily covering a safety quiz will be given and may be updated regularly. If a user has earned the merit badge and policies have been updated, then an updated information sheet would have to be reviewed ahead of doing cryogenic work at the center.
Center staff training
The workflow demonstration should be scheduled with center staff through the NCCAT User Office or your appointed user coordinator.
Supervised and unsupervised practice by the user
Center staff will assist in arranging dedicated time slots for access to the necessary equipment. Registered users will be issued scheduler accounts through the NCCAT User Office.
Two (2) separate center staff observing your proficiency at separate times
Center staff will assist in arranging dedicated time slots for access to the necessary equipment. Appointments may be made through the NCCAT User Office.
- Sample preparation merit badges for room temperature work are valid for ~1yr.
- Recertification (to maintain active status) would entail demonstrating proper use and care in front of a center staff member.
General NYSBC/NCCAT safety SOPs
Furthering your knowledge
Making different support films
Making negative stain