General cryogenic work
Merit Badge 3
Category: Sample preparation
Sub-category: Cryogenic work
This merit badge covers handling, storage, shipping & safety for cryogenic work and is a pre-requisite for the sub-category Cryogenic work merit badges.
Knowledge of the workflow
Specific safety SOPs for this merit badge.
• NYSBC SOP for working with cryogens
• NCCAT SOP for dispensing LN2 from 230/240L tanks
• NCCAT SOP for work with small amounts of LN2
For general safety information see the SOPs in the right bar.
Relevant SDS (Safety Data Sheets)
Vendor product information
High density storage systems
• SubAnstrom product page for pucks and storage grid boxes
• MiTeGen product page for pucks and cryoEM accessories
• Molecular Dimensions product page for pucks
Center specific guidelines
• NCCAT Dry Shipper Intaking and Processing Grids SOP
• NCCAT Grid organization for long term storage in pucks SOP
A pass/fail test
The knowledge assessment test primarily covering a safety quiz will be given and may be updated regularly. If a user has earned the merit badge and policies have been updated, then an updated information sheet would have to be reviewed ahead of doing cryogenic work at the center.
Center staff training
The workflow demonstration should be scheduled with center staff through the NCCAT User Office or your appointed user coordinator.
Supervised and unsupervised practice by the user
Center staff will assist in arranging dedicated time slots for access to the necessary equipment. Registered users will be issued scheduler accounts through the NCCAT User Office.
Two (2) separate center staff observing your proficiency at separate times
Center staff will assist in arranging dedicated time slots for access to the necessary equipment. Appointments may be made through the NCCAT User Office.
- Sample preparation merit badges for cryogenic work are valid for ~6mo.
- Recertification (to maintain active status) would entail demonstrating proper use and care in front of a center staff member.
General NYSBC/NCCAT safety SOPs
Furthering your knowledge
General background on safety