Professional staff openings
Research Associate and Scientist positions
The Simons Electron Microscopy Center (semc.nysbc.org) at the New York Structural Biology Center (nysbc.org) seeks an experienced electron microscopist to join the staff of the National Center for CryoEM Access and Training (NCCAT nccat.nysbc.org). NCCAT provides nationwide access to cryoEM technology and contributes to the development of cryoEM expertise. The individual will be responsible for collection of high resolution data for user laboratories and our cross-training efforts as part of a team.
NCCAT is housed at NYSBC (New York Structural Biology Center) located in New York City, which is a shared center that supports state-of-the-art research in EM, NMR, and X-ray crystallography. The Simons Electron Microscopy Center provides expertise and resources for understanding both molecular and cellular structures. Molecular structure determination is enabled by high-end transmission electron microscopes (TEMs), direct detection cameras, and computational support for single particle analysis. Cellular structure determination is enabled by tomographic reconstructions using the TEMs and a focused ion beam (FIB) scanning electron microscope (SEM). The current EM facilities include six transmission electron microscopes (including 3xTitan Krios instruments) and a dual-beam scanning electron microscope (with a Quorum cryo stage).
- High resolution cryoEM data collection for user laboratories.
- Training new practitioners of cryoEM.
- Provide feedback about user samples and data sets.
- Preparing and screening frozen specimen grids.
- Initial processing and correction of raw image data.
- Maintenance and/or operation of microscopes for screening and data collection.
- Opportunities for collaborative research through the Simons Electron Microscope Center.
- Capable of multitasking,
- enjoy working with other people,
- have a good working knowledge of electron microscopes,
- experience in biological electron microscopy and image reconstruction,
- strong communication skills,
- organized with good documentation/record keeping skills; and
- Masters or PhD in a science related field (e.g. biochemistry, physics, structural biology, etc…)
To apply send a c.v. and names of three (3) references to nccatinfo [at] nysbc.org with either the title “NCCAT jobs – Research associate position” or “NCCAT jobs – Scientist position”.